Monday, June 11, 2012

My Crossroads

Sometimes it is hard to realize that you have neglected your dreams and aspirations as you go through what has become the motions of your life.


When I was in school and university, I always had a clear target on what I wanted to achieve in my examinations and when I was in Bar School, it was about becoming a barrister-at-law. When I returned to Malaysia, it was getting pupillage in a reputable law firm and finally, qualifying as a lawyer in Malaysia. Although I didn't have a complete roadmap from the very beginning, I always knew how to expand it and constantly created a goal as I go along. 


So where am I now?


Next month I would be in my 4th year of practise. Time surely flies! My boss was explaining her plans for me in terms of career progression and was asking me where I wanted to go and whether there was anything I want from them to help me with my own personal development. Then it hit me that I haven't actually given it much thought lately.


At one point the ultimate aim was of course partnership. But being in a law firm long enough I realised that such end goal would ultimately entail significant compromises, which made me reconsider. Strangely, I now find myself considering this again and wondering, would I really be compromising anything? And if so, what exactly was it?

2 comments:

Deena.T said...

i think every woman goes through this stage in her life. i'm sure you'll make the best decision for both your career and life aspirations :)

Rezeki ada pada mereka yang mencari, Insyaallah.

Amethyste said...

wise words :)